During the summertime, and even during extreme temperatures, many Phoenicians still spend a lot of time outdoors. Whether that means early morning hikes, mid-day runs or an afternoon lounging in and around the pool. But more than ever as the temperatures rise, it’s important that people stay properly hydrated for the sake of their health! Aquaman Pools talks about the importance of hydration during the summer and all year round.
Phoenician especially have probably heard “make sure to drink enough water” a million times before. But the truth is, proper hydration is key to health. Drinking “enough” water has myriad of benefits. According an article on the Harvard School of Public Health website, drinking “enough” water is vital “to regulate body temperature, keep joints lubricated, prevent infections, deliver nutrients to cells, and keep organs functioning properly.” Beyond that, the article states that “being well-hydrated also improves sleep quality, cognition and mood.”
Sounds like a magic pill, right? “Water is life” as they say, and it’s true! But many people simply don’t think about drinking “enough” water — which is said to be about 11 cups per day for women and 16 cups per day for men. That’s a lot of water! And the CDC states the body may need even more than that — specifically those that are in hot climate (um, hello Phoenix!) and who are more physically active.
For those that aren’t used to drinking a lot of water, these numbers can seem like a lot. But the good news is, there are lots of delicious and fun ways to up one’s water intake. Check out the following tips:
- First thing in the morning, down a big glass of water before breakfast or that first cup of coffee.
- Try it room temperature… not everyone loves an ice-cold glass of water. Some may prefer room temperature water. Each person should find what works for them and that will encourage them to drink more water.
- Give it some flavor! Infusing plain water with fresh produce and herbs can give it new life. Try soaking water lemons or lime, watermelon, berries, cucumber, basil, lavender and other natural flavors to give it a whole new taste, naturally.
- Eat some water! Produce is very high in water content — specifically watermelon, celery, cucumbers, bell peppers, peaches, strawberries and cantaloupe. Consuming these water-filled fruits and veggies can count toward one’s daily water intake.
- Switch out still water for sparkling on occasion or enjoy iced tea (no sugar added!) to mix it up a little and avoid “hydration boredom.”
- Take it on the go. Always travel with a bottle of water — and always have plenty of water on-hand when exercising, working in the garden or hanging out by the pool.
When spending time outdoors and in the pool this summer, staying well hydrated is vital. So remember to drink plenty of water. And when it comes to the pool water, remember that Aquaman Pools’ professional technicians are always standing by to make sure valley residents’ pool water is clean, healthy and sparkling fresh for a dip all summer long.